The Weekly Edit / 02
I’ve been trying to decide if I want to publish these on Monday to recap the week and weekend before, or on Friday to summarize the work week. I haven’t decided on where to land with that - but I thought I’d share in case you were wondering when to expect it. TBD, my friends!
This week was a doozy and there is lots to share!
I found THE most affordable tote on Amazon and it arrived today, and can confirm that it’s excellent. I actually had an identical one from American Eagle that I bought years ago, that I still have, use a ton and love, but I noticed as I carried it to a meeting a few weeks ago that it was starting to look a little tattered and I was in need of something new. I know that there are a TON of great leather totes out there, but this faux one I had had held up perfectly well for years, and I thought I’d like to go for a more inexpensive, cruelty free option. I found the exact one on Amazon (also currently sold at Nordstrom) that I had before, but opted for the Tan/Black option (PS. it’s reversible!) and I am very much in love! For $39.99 (CDN) you really can’t go wrong. Get it here.
2. I bit the bullet and ordered AirPods. I tried a few other wireless headphone options, and nothing seemed great, so I’m trusting all of you in my DM’s who raved about them. I also exercised the free engraving option for the first time ever, despite having owned many apple devices. I went for an all lower-case “madison” on the case, and I figure that it’s in such a non important place, if it seems cheesy then it doesn’t really matter because nobody will really see it. You know? I think that’s it for my pointless update regarding headphones!
3. I started sharing about business related things on my Instagram feed. To be honest, I’m not sure how I felt about it. The response seemed to be overwhelmingly like….sorry or sad for me? That was so not my intention, and I didn’t want it to seem like I was complaining or feeling sad or discouraged. I was hoping other people would be interested in the journey, or could relate to the struggle, or would have something to share. I’m not sure I’m going to delve into the struggles again just because I don’t want it to come off as negative. I’m not really sure people got my overall intention. So, I’ll be clear. I LOVE this process. I feel the most fulfilled than I ever have. I feel excited, and lately have been feeling like, WOW, I can really scale this. I can turn this into the business I’ve always dreamed of. it’s exciting, exhilarating, nerve-wracking. The highs feel VERY high, but there are lows too. The truth is, I am tired. But I’m also excited, and I am deeply enthralled with what the future will hold for my business. I think too often people paint business ownership as this freeing, ultimate-goal fantasy, and it can be all of those things, but it can also be hard and confusing to navigate. I also think that in a world of #girlbosses there are also people that are not cut out for this. Or, seasons where this isn’t the right thing for someone to take on. I remember years ago when I watched other women kill it in the business sphere I sort of felt a pressure - like I hadn’t really succeeded if I didn’t own my own business, or that it was the ultimate path to take. But now that I’m here, I realize I wouldn’t have ever survived if I had decided to wade in before I was ready.
4. On the note of business - I am hiring! I’ve hired an assistant, but I’m hiring a designer and that feels so awesome. It’s exciting but I feel nervous and happy, also proud. Excited to build a little team. Definitely more on that - but it’s big for me, so I wanted to share! I’ll also be posting an official job description if you happen to be interested!
5. I’ve made a commitment to stop using single-use cups, bottles, cans. I love carbonated water/coke zero, etc, and I have realized that we create a ton of recycling and even though yes, it is recyclable it just feels irresponsible. So, we’re getting a Sodastream, swearing off canned soda and moving to reusable options. I follow @aprettycoolgirl (who is, pretty dang cool!) and she recommended the Stojo brand. What really sold me was the fact that it can fold up and fit inside a purse/backpack, etc. I find that with most reusable cups, while I think they are pretty or handy, I don’t always have the room or the memory to have them on hand. I ordered one of the “biggie” ones (16 oz) and I can’t wait to get it and promptly throw it in my purse. If you’re into this stuff, I’d love to know if you have a favourite reusable brand as I want to geek out!
6. Lately I’ve been obsessed with Ed Sheeran? I can’t help myself. I don’t know why or how it happened, but all I listen to is his Divide album. It’s great. He seems like such a precious gem of a man, and